The History of
The History of
Crawshaw Hall is situated on Burnley Road Crawshawbooth, overlooking Limy Water, and was erected in 1830 by John Brooks (quarry owner) who was responsible for building the entire mineral tramway network linking quarries at Great Height, Cragg and Ding: the largest such development in this part of the country.
Thomas Brooks was made The Rt. Hon. Lord Crawshaw (1st Baron) by Queen Victoria on the 9th February 1891. Thomas Brooks (Died 1908) was born in 1825 and became the High Sheriff of Lancashire in 1884. He was a founder member of the Rossendale hunt being appointed Master in 1860 a post which he held for 22 years.
Crawshaw Hall Circa 1880
Lord Crawshaw contributed in many ways to the village including land and money for the building of St Johns Church in Crawshawbooth. Lord Crawshaw contributed £3,000 to the structure and £1,000 to the endowment. By 1970 there was unfortunately only one surviving member of the Brooks family living at Crawshaw Hall – Miss Cicely Brookes. Cicely Brooks sold Crawshaw Hall to Dutch Antiques Dealer Mr Sonny Brunsveld in 1976.
1987 – Crawshaw Hall Nursing Home established
The current owners Mr & Mrs Karoo purchased Crawshaw Hall in 1987 and converted it into a Nursing Home.
1995 – New additional 21 bed medical physical disability unit built
In 1995 a new 21 bed nursing medical centre was purpose built for Young People aged 18 and over with medical and/or physical disabilities.
2007 – The Gardens were fully renovated
The Gardens were fully renovated in July 2007.
2007-09 – The Dementia unit is fully renovated
Newly formed single bedrooms, new en-suites, flooring, décor, wireless nurse call and flatscreen
TV’s in all bedrooms.
2015-16 – The Medical Centre extension and complete full building reconfiguration.
A new third floor, extension to two sides of the building, all floors reconfigured giving 25 new en- suites, 25 new bedrooms, new lounges, Newly formed single bedrooms, new en-suites, flooring, décor, wireless nurse call, flat screen TV’s and fibre broadband across both buildings. Complete
re-wire, new CCTV on all communal areas and carpark.
2017 – Car Park Tarmac resurfacing.
Entire car park and entrance dug up fully, new hardcore and full tarmac resurface. Newly laid flag stones at link corridor entrance.
2018 – New resident seating area.
Outside seating area with parasol cover solely for residents and visitors created at rear of Medical centre.